Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Interview With Ian Rusten

In a new series for my blog, I plan on having a bunch of interviews with people that have connections with the Beach Boys. Number one in this series is with author and live concert collector Ian Rusten, who with Jon Stebbins, wrote The Beach Boys in Concert. The interview that follows includes a few of his thoughts on his book and other Beach Boy information.


Your new book The Beach Boys in Concert is now one of the most
encyclopedic works on the Beach Boys. How long did this take you?

Ian Rusten: It took a long time actually. I began researching the Beach Boys concert history as a hobby about nine years ago. While researching all these concerts, I ended up accumulating a massive collection of newspaper reviews and magazine  articles. I also met people who shared information with me and collected ticket stubs and other memorabilia. As I got more into it, I began to see that all this information might make an interesting book. When Jon and I decided to work together, we began compiling all the information I had, while continuing to go to libraries to find more.

What about the live concerts appealed to you so much?

IR: I think that most Beach Boys related books so far have focused on Brian and the group in the studio and given short shrift to the Beach Boys performing career.The Beach Boys have played about 100 to 150 shows a year for 50 years. It is a big part of their career. If you listen to albums like Live In London and The Beach Boys In Concert, you realize that in their prime they were a great live band and they don’t get much public recognition of that fact.

How did the writing process work between you and Jon? And how did you end up working with him?

IR: When Jon Stebbins and I agreed to collaborate, we wrote and rewrote the book, adding and deleting material to edit it down to the length the publisher wanted. Jon and I also did many original interviews for the book. We also worked hard to obtain photos that had not been seen before. I began corresponding with Jon years ago because I enjoyed his work. When he wrote The Lost Beach Boy I helped him obtain information on a few 1963 east-coast shows and he shared his concert info with me. We collaborated on a few pages of his FAQ book as well. We had discussed working together on a book for many years and this project brought us together.

Favorite live era and least favorite?

IR: I really love the Live In London album. I think the group sounded so great at that time (1968), with just two sidemen and a small horn section. So I guess that is my favorite era. But, I also love the live recordings from Chicago 1965 with Brian and the 1973 In Concert album with Blondie and Ricky. I think the band was consistently exciting on stage till the late 70s. I have to say I really loved the 2012 tour as well! I think the worst era to see them live was probably the late 1980s to mid 1990s. Some may disagree, but I just did not like all the cheerleaders and general silliness of that time. I also felt that the set lists were pretty boring. But, in the midst of that mediocre period they could still surprise you. The November 1993 box-set tour was fantastic.

What do you think of Badman's book?

IR: I think that the book had flaws and inaccuracies but was hugely entertaining. Even though a number of dates/venues turned out to be incorrect, there was a lot of useful information in it.That book has tons of great photographs and is well worth owning for fans. And although our book has supplanted Badman’s when it comes to information about concerts, his book is the only one so far to discuss recording sessions in detail. Though, I hope someday Craig Slowinski will write the definitive sessions book.

Most embarrassing live moment?

IR: There are too many!! The group had many highs and many, many lows. One story that sticks out occurred in May 1967. Carl Wilson was arrested for draft-evasion in April and began a long drawn out court battle. As a result, he missed the opening date of the Beach Boys European tour. Rather than alter their game plan, the group played the same show with other members taking Carl’s leads. But they were not well rehearsed for this.  Bruce sang “God Only Knows” and forgot the words!!! Apparently, the audience was not pleased. The funniest concert moment was probably when the band was playing in Ohio in 1983 and the elderly guy at the gates failed to recognize them and insisted that they buy tickets to get in the venue!!!

I've been an obsessive fan now for about 5 years but I am not just appreciating the 80's BB albums. Do you think there is too much snobbiness about the Beach Boys music, especially 1966-1971?

IR: I am a fan of Beach Boys music period. I think they have put out a lot of great songs in all eras (I really like their latest album). But, I do believe that the 1966-1971 period was pretty amazing! Pet Sounds is fantastic and deserves all its plaudits, but albums like Wild Honey and Sunflower were criminally overlooked for years. I am glad they are now getting their due. And of course the recent release of The Smile Sessions was sensational.  It’s a great time to be a fan.

Favorite song?

IR: I love “God Only Knows” with Carl’s incredible lead and Brian’s unbelievable arrangement. I also think “Caroline, No” is fantastic. Love Brian’s voice on that one! I also have a soft spot for Brian’s incredible vocals on “Let Him Run Wild,” “She Knows Me Too Well,” and “We’ll Run Away.” I think Mike’s best lead is on the Sunflower cut “All I Wanna Do.” My favorite Dennis song is “Forever.”

Do you think the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson solo should be hipper? What if instead of working with Jeff Beck, Elton John, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Buffet, Wilson worked with his musical devotees with indie cred like Sean O'Hagan, Beach House etc.?

IR: Brian is now 71 years old. I think the time for him to try to be “hip” has passed. He should just have fun. If he wants to tour that is great and if he wants to make another album that is great too. But we should not have any more expectations.

Any plans on writing a new book?

IR: Not sure about another book right now. But you never know. I am hoping that Craig will write his sessions book. If I can help that project at all, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment